RANGE OF PRACTICE
Mr. McElroy focuses his practice in the areas of family wealth preservation, probate and trust litigation, and family business succession. Approximately 25 years of extensive experience form the foundation for his work with individuals and business owners. He takes pride in efficiently and creatively addressing his client’s objectives, which range from wills and trusts to creating sophisticated structures to meet client’s wealth transfer and asset protection goals. In the courtroom, Mr. McElroy represents executors, trustees, individuals and businesses in the administration and/or litigation of estate and trust matters, as well as businesses disputes. He has successfully resolved numerous contested estate, trust and commercial litigation cases. His work has been cited by the Illinois Supreme Court and the Illinois Appellate Court.
In addition to his practice, Mr. McElroy has been active in several charitable and civic matters. He is a Trustee of the Barrington 220 Educational Foundation, and adult leader and Den Leader for Barrington Cub Scout Pack 288, and volunteers with the Lake County Guardianship Help Desk. He is a past president of Sheridan Park Neighbors Association in Chicago and a former member of the Uptown Chicago Commission.
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. District Court
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
J.D. – 1994
- St. John’s University
B.A. – 1990
- Mr. McElroy is the consulting author to Horner Probate Practice and Estates, an 8 volume legal treatise providing an in-depth discussion of probate, trust, and estate proceedings in Illinois. Mr. McElroy has also contributed to other Illinois publications regarding civil practice and business topics.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Lake County Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Ruth Helen Wolf Endowment, Formation Committee and Oversight Committee Member
- St. Mary of the Lake Church, Lector
- Wills for Heroes Foundation, Volunteer
- Magnolia Malden Neighbors Block Club, Volunteer